Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Clara - Finished!
I popped over to Art of Fabric in Pickering last weekend to look for the thread I needed to finish Clara's ears. It wasn't in my stash, but judging from the other colours I did have, I thought it was probably DMC 841 that I needed. Wrong! It was a good thing I brought everything along with me to the store. It turned out to be DMC 3864.
The new thread looked ever so slightly darker. I used one old thread and one new thread together in the needle to blend out the transition, and I don't think you can see it at all on the finished piece.
I gave you a bit of a close up in the photo above so you can see the Algerian eyelets in the waistband, and the great shading you get from the Sampler Threads in the blouse. The light blue squares are Morning Glory, the green ones are Evergreen, the purple is Hyacinth, and the pink is Victorian Pink. The dark indigo of the apron is Midnight, and the lighter indigo of the skirt is Blue Jay. The inside of the ears and the hearts on the apron are Cameo Pink.
Because I decided not to use any of the charms in the kit, I added another heart to the band on the apron (see below), and just used French knots for the buttons on both Clara and Henry.
Once they were both done, I saw that Henry was actually a little taller than Clara:
The plan is to set them both into pillow covers. Given the great faded indigo look of the Sampler Threads, I think I will sacrifice some old jeans and make the covers out of denim. I am glad the flood uncovered them. Clara was a fun and easy project, and I think they make a nice couple!