Well, I had a busy weekend. I finally started Sedona Star! Hard to believe, I know. :)
Saturday night I put together the templates. What a tricky job! I have a feeling this was probably the most fiddly bit of the whole quilt. But, if they are right, everything will go smoothly, so I didn't rush it.
The grey gridlines were a huge help. I ended up cutting the templates just a millimetre or two away from the outside gridline, and butting them up against the edge of my Olfa mat, which I used as a ruler. This allowed me to make sure that the overall measurement was 12" for the inside template, and 18" for the outside one.
I am using the Ricky Tims Stable Stuff for my templates. As designer Sarah Vedeler suggested, I used Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 in the 1/4" width to hold them together. It was pretty convenient to use, and held the pages together well. Before I tried it I was worried about it adding bulk to the quilt. I found, however, that there is almost nothing to it, so added weight is not a worry.
There were no gridlines for Template 2, which is the ring with the appliqued circles. To make sure that it would fit properly inside the outer ring, I used the assembled Template 3 as a guide:
I carefully lined up the solid stitching lines on each template (not the cutting lines!). Template 3 has convenient marks for each section of Template 2, so it is easy to lay it right in place. I worked my way around the ring, ironing each section to the previous one as I went:
I am not ironing the two layers together, just using the bottom layer as a guide. Once it was finished, I knew it would fit into the outer ring perfectly.
Hopefully, with these tricks in my toolbox, assembling the templates in future months will be less painful. Fortunately, the paper piecing on Sunday went really well. I'll show you tomorrow!