It's almost exactly seven years since I first cut the fabric for this quilt, and Cardinal Stars is finally finished!
one year since I sewed the red binding and extra yellow flange to the front. I learned how to do it from Mimi Dietrich's book Happy Endings (Martingale 2013), which is practical and helpful.
I thought that machine sewing the high contrast yellow flange nice and straight would be the hardest part. But then I wrecked my back, which changed my posture, and it turned out that hand sewing the binding to the back of the quilt had become extremely painful.
I don't have arthritis, the problem is excessively loose joints and pinched nerves. Every couple of months I would try another few inches of binding, and the pain would return. I used to hand sew every day, and for the past year this binding is the only thing I've even attempted.
I'm not going to jump back into a full schedule of hand sewing, but at least now I know I can do it once in a while.
|Cardinal Stars, about 62" x 62" (158 x 158 cm)|
After all that drama, the finish feels a little anticlimactic to me. But, I think all my experiments -- retrimming and remaking the blocks, "floating" the blocks on the background, my first time renting a long arm, and the flanged binding -- were quite successful. I have learned a TON, and I think part of the reason why this quilt feels out of sync to me now is because I've come so far.
So, yay! A second finish for 2017, an ooold UFO off the books, and some hand sewing hope for the future. :D