Cynthia Gilbreth has been doing the cutest project with a ton of bullions, so I have been feeling for a while now that it is time for me to master this stitch! I have always felt that it was the most impressive, and most intimidating stitch. I have done them in the past, but if they turned out it always felt more like a strange fluke than something I had any control over.
This week I've been practicing them again, and today I finally got it all together into a reasonable rose:
My first one! You can see that the very last bullion came unwrapped a bit at 12 o'clock, but overall I am very pleased with it (and myself!). So I finally felt empowered enough to get back into my Cottage Garden UFO, which is a design by Kris Richards from Inspirations 53. This is how it looked at the beginning of this year:
This has been a UFO for several years, because I ran into some problems and couldn't think how to fix them. I freehand copied the design in pencil directly onto the fabric, and you can see that the bottom edge slants up to the right. The pencil also rubbed off as I worked, so I was going to have to redraw the rose bush that goes in the space there beside the hydrangea. You can see it in the original from the magazine:
I was stressing about that rose bush, partially because of the bullions, but also because the design seemed weird to me. There are purple hollyhocks woven between the roses, and I just didn't like it. I wanted a little more definition between the foreground and the background. The pink daisies in the lower left corner had the same issue. I decided to move the hollyhocks to the back, the roses to the front, and remove the pink daisies entirely.
I had already decided in February to redo the orange daisies as well, which I had made too small. I did the rosette stitches in the tree back then too. So this is how it looked this morning:
I have made tons of progress since then, which hopefully I'll show you tomorrow!