A few weeks ago I bought Victoria Findlay Wolfe's book, 15 Minutes of Play. It has many great ideas for sewing your scraps into "made fabric," and then using that fabric in various quilt blocks.
Down in the basement, for several years now, there's been a small, open box full of scraggly rag ends of this old Christmas fabric. Today, instead of working on Allietare, I had a burning need to sew it all together!
Of course, it was so dusty that I had to wash it again first, and I ironed it dry. But, then I tried not to think too much, and just sew the pieces together. They are a little big to be called "crumbs," exactly, but they are ratty!
You can see that my brain was turned off, because one fabric is backwards there. In the spirit of improv, I decided to keep it.
Now I have a range of approximately 9" square pieces put together:
I tried some curved piecing, but not very well! I think they will flatten out once they are cut again.
I know it looks like crazy, avoidant behaviour, but actually I feel quite refreshed! Now I can mull over how to use them while I finish up Step 2 of Allietare. Most of the cutting is done...
...and I think it will be quick to sew together. 160 blue triangles! It should be downhill from here. :D